Friday, January 21, 2011

There's Something Strange Going on Around Here

When I first moved out of my home in Slapout, AL over to Tuscaloosa, AL I made the statement, "I should write a book about my first experience away from home." Little did I know at that time, that it actually might happen.
I seriously have some of the kookiest people living around my little carriage house apartment in historic Tuscaloosa. This neighborhood is very prominent, but you can just tell there are a bunch of "hippies" living around here- so I guess you could say that I fit in quite nicely.
It's a tiny quaint apartment in a nice old lady's backyard. Now this old lady is by no means your typical old lady. A recent widow, she is one of the spunkiest old women I have ever met in my life. She HAS to be in or close to her 70's, and in a conversation I had with her, she was even talking about going back to school to take a few classes. She is a professor among many other things, and I've concluded that she is very intelligent, but nutty. Yes, my landlord is a true nutty professor, but I love it.
There are many other tenants living around here, as the house next door is separated into many little apartments and rooms that are rented out to other tenants. I just got lucky and happen to have the only stand alone private apartment. My apartment is on a second floor of what use to be a storage unit for horse carriages back in the day. I like to spend my free time perched up in my little "tree house" observing all the tenants out my window kind of like the old Hitchcock movie "Rear Window," and if you don't know what that movie is, just think of "Disturbia." Among these tenants, very strange tenants at that, I observe on a regular basis are her grandson who lives in the basement and her brother who lives next door.
- - TIME OUT-- as I am typing this in the student center at the university a girl just seriously attempted to recruit me into their sorority. At this point I think it is important to state that I am anti-greek. okay TIME IN--
The first time I met her grandson, he told me that he did yoga naked in the backyard every tuesday. He called them "Naked Tuesdays." Luckily, he was kidding, but that is only a small introduction to what type of character he is. I'm 99 percent sure that his hair is longer than mine, and is this very deep red color. I can't clearly recall but I'm pretty sure he has facial piercings and tattoos. If he doesn't, he needs to get some. He is apparently in some kind of band that wears a lot of eyeliner and hair spray, and he drives one of those Scion box cars. Every now and then we will cross paths and say hello, and a few times he has even come to my door to tell me some random information, which is cool I guess. But last week, he decided he was going to march up my stairs in his combat boots and ask if I wanted to hang out later on that week with a few of his friends for "trivia" night. Why not? I agreed and told him to get back with me. And he never did, so things feel kind of awkward between me and the yoga boy now.
My land lady's brother is a character too. First of all his vehicle of choice is an old 1990's toyota painted electric/pastel blue. I'm pretty sure he wears a hair piece, and he likes to walk around in very short shorts, almost like those nike shorts that all the rage with college girls these days. I haven't really talked to him that much, just in passing while I am taking out my trash. I don't know why, but I am a little intimidated by him.
Recently, my land lady's family has been in town because of complications with her back and mobilization. I paid rent at the first of the month and her daughter answered the door when I turned my check in. It was then that I found out the news that she had fallen a little ill, so ever since I have had strange cars and strange family members hanging around.
Ever since I moved in October I have been bumming her internet because it was unsecured, but her children got the bright idea of, "Oh, Mom needs to put a password on her internet." Dang, i was cut off. No big deal though, right? I can just call and get the password and things will be back to normal. But nope. All of a sudden the house was empty and no one was answering or returning any of my phone calls. All a girl wanted was a password. I began to call everyday at least twice a day and leaving one message on the answering machine everyday. Now people were in and out of the house because I would see them come home at night. I figured they would get back with me soon and I would resort to driving to the library to get online work done for school. After a while this driving back and forth became annoying along with failed attempts at phone calls. After 4 or 5 days of this, what was a small problem began turning into a larger issue. What am I suppose to do if my water pipes bust and my apartment starts flooding. Who do I call? Fill a girl in, people!
Last night, as I sat on my normal perch next to my bedroom window, I notice movement inside of the house. Yes! Someone is home. So I immediately slipped on my shoes and walked over there, and then knocked on the door. But no one answered after three knocks and about 5 minutes. At this point I'm frustrated. Is my amazing 5 foot stature so intimidating that you can't answer the door? Why yes, BE TERRIFIED. So I storm back to my apartment and call the house on my cell phone. As I am calling them I see TWO people, a guy and a lady, in the house and they completely ignore my phone call.
What the heck??
Now I am just curious as to what is going on and frankly ticked off, so I begin looking for other tenants. I walk up to her brother's apartment next door and notice there is a note on the door that says, "Do not knock or ring doorbell. I will see you and come to the door." ........Seriously? So I awkwardly stood there for about 2 minutes, and he never came. I knew he was home because I could clearly see his neon blue toyota in the driveway. I knocked. . . still no answer. I would like to additionally say that these people love to leave notes on their doors clearly expressing not to knock, because that's definitely not the first time I've seen a not like that. My night ended up resorting to catching her grandson walking through the back yard in his pajama pants asking him for the password, even though it was terribly awkward of the no show trivia night. So, yay! I have internet at my apartment now, and through this experience I have come to the conclusion that number 1) i live around some strange people and number 2) there is definitely something strange going on around here.

No comments:

Post a Comment